Thursday, January 18, 2018

"Here I Stay" by Dominique Laura


"As many times as that one sentence floated around, I knew I needed to change it. I needed to escape it. And so, I made sure that a new phrase took its place. It was the same phrase with one less word and a whole lot of meaning - one stronger than the one before it. And there's another reason why you should stay."

I found myself connected to the main character Daysie as I understand why she is guarded towards bringing new people in her life. Due to her abusive father, absentee mother and her school bully, she has kept a closer relationship with her childhood friends but is hesitant to include and open herself to Bren when he decides to express himself to her.

She wants to take a chance but she is afraid of how having her in her life will affect her since she has already been negatively affected by her father's actions. Her friends have encouraged her to take the opportunity and experience something new and exciting and also a new relationship.

Bren's approach scares Daysie at first but she learns that he just wants the opportunity to know her. Bren and her friends also help her escape her abusive father and realize she deserves more than what she is getting in life. Bren loves her and also wants to help her deal with her life situation. After Daysie has been able to leave her parents behind, she leaves town wanting to experience life instead of what she has been through so far. In the new town, she finds a job at a local book store and learns about life from the owner as well as expressing herself through writing. The bookstore's owner assists Bren to reconnect with Daysie, making her realize her love for her and how he wants to be a part of life even when Daysie feels broken inside due to her past. Daysie realizes she does not need to escape any longer as Bren and her friends have helped her find joy and positive even through her past and experience.

"It was moments like these that made me happy that I stayed. It sucked sometimes, this life of mine, but it was worth everything I had gone through. I was stronger because of it, and I had people in my life who would always be there. That was a gift. Life was a gift, and I had a whole lot more of it to live. I had wasted enough time worrying about stuff that wouldn't matter days, weeks, months, or years from now, and I was learning to take each day as a it came - one day a time."

I could relate to Daysie as I went through situations that made me question life but just like that I decided to stay thinking of a better future and better, new experiences that I find memorable and have had a great effect on my life. Dominique's writing was so smooth, the characters were so raw and real. I recommend it to anyone reflecting on past experiences and wanting a better future for themselves so they can realize how having a great support system such as Daysie's friends and Bren as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment